Fiesta time! This homemade Pico de Gallo recipe is a great addition to many meals. Serve with tacos, grilled meats, scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes, or with a big bag of tortilla chips. This time I added avocado and served it with our baked chicken fajitas. Let’s just say I doubled the recipe planning to have some left over, and it is all GONE! This is also a great healthy substitute to sauces that have high sodium and chemicals when your protein or veggies need that extra kick!
- 3-4 roma tomatoes
- 1-2 large onions
- 1 medium jalapeño
- 1-2 limes
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 cups of roughly chopped cilantro
- Diced avocado (as pictured)
- Diced Mango
- Black beans or pinto beans
- Whole kernnel corn
Total Servings : Will make 2-3 cups
- Wash and dry all produce
- Dice tomatoes and onion into small chunks
- Slice jalapeños in half and scrape out seeds (I use a spoon to remove them)
- Finely dice jalapeños. You want hints of heat… not a fire.
- Wash your hands! If you accidentally touch your eyes, it’s game over.
- Roughly chop cilantro
- Combine all ingredients and squeeze fresh lime
- Sprinkle in salt and pepper
- Give it a quick stir until combined
*Store extra in an air-tight container in the fridge. Cut onion will absorb around toxins, so make sure you do not leave an open container out for extended periods of time before consuming. Will keep for 2-3 days in fridge.
- Allowing it to sit for an 1-2 hours before serving allows the flavors to blend together.
- Adjust the amount of onion and jalapeño to fit your taste! You cannot go wrong, so feel free to make tweaks.
- Play with the add-ins to customize the recipe to meet your needs! Adding black beans, pinto beans, and corn takes this recipe to a whole new level.
- Double or triple the recipe and free your extras for a quick soup starter!