Every evening, I end my day with a moisturizing blend of natural oils, essential oils, and most importantly… no chemicals. Here is how it started. I was in Target on the lotion isle deciding with lotion to try next. This time of year especially my skin is so dry, and I have always been a lotion snob. It has to be scent-free and extra creamy and blah blah blah. Well, I started looking on the back of the bottles at the active ingredients and… SCARY. Even lotions and body cream advertised to be “healthy” or “green” are often far from it. For the past year, this has been my daily moisturizer, and it is here to stay.
My thoughts are…If I could potentially eat it, then I think it safe for my skin!
So what’s my routine? This is my EVERY DAY out of the shower moisturizer. I understand that in the middle of the day a pump of oil in your hands may not be practical to quickly absorb and go on about your business. However, allowing these nutrients and vitamins to soak in your skin all night is SO wonderful. You will wake up with soft, hydrated HAPPY skin without comprising your health with added chemicals. Yes, please!
- 1 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/8 cup (1 oz.) rosehip oil
- 15-20 drops peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 5-8 drops cedarwood essential oil
- One glass container with a pump
Total Yield: This recipe makes a little over 2 cups of moisturizer. Adjust according to your bottle.
You can purchase the highest quality essential oils here! (in my researched opinion!)
- Pour 1 cup grape seed oil into container
- Add peppermint essential oil
- Add lavender essential oil
- Add cedarwood essential oil
- Pour 1/8-1/4 (1-2 oz.) cup rosehip oil
- Pour 1/2 cup coconut oil
- Give it a swift shake, and you are all set!
*Coconut oil is thicker than grape seed oil and takes a slightly longer amount of time to fully absorb. Both are extremely hydrating and great for sensitive skin (like mine!). This is the recipe/ratio that I use, but feel free to play with it.
What do these ingredients do?
Grapeseed Oil : This stuff is magic! This oil is light on the the skin, easily absorbed and safe for sensitive skin. It is rich in beta-carotene and vitamins D, C, E…. all fabulous for fighting wrinkles, reducing aging effects, and restoring collagen production. [Light yellow color]
Coconut Oil : Coconut oil is predominately made up of nutrient dense proteins and saturated fats. Together this composition contributes to keeping the skin plump and full… no wrinkles and sagging skin here! An added bonus that the proteins support tissue repair and cellular health. As I mentioned earlier, this oil is slightly thicker than grapeseed oil and very moisturizing. It soaks in within minutes and leaves the skin ultra-hydrated. [Colorless]
Rosehip Oil : Rosehip oil is well-known for its’ anti-aging properties along with encouraging strong elasticity while nourishing dry skin. It is currently one of the most sought after organic skincare oils for its’ powerful effects. A little bit goes a long way, hence it not being the primary ingredient in this moisturizer. [Orangey color]
Peppermint : Invigorating to your senses and calming at the end of a long day! This is one of my top three essential oils for so many things… headaches, chest congestion, diffusing… you name it. Find out more here.
Lavender : You know that Johnson’s lavender baby lotion? Well, they chose that scent for a reason. Lavender has proven calming affects for your mind and body. Your skin will drink it up.
Cedarwood : This essential oil has anti-inflammatory properties and is soothing to skin irritations. This is excellent for eczema and rosacea.
- How do I use this magic oil? Apply just out the shower after you pat dry. Your skin will absorb the oil easier when it is warm.
- Does the quality matter? Yes! If you are going to apply essential oils topically or ingest them as a supplement, you neeeeeed to research the product before using it. I have found that Young Living products provide the highest level of quality because of their seed to seal distilling process. They have quality control guarantees in place throughout every stage of the process, and that’s what I want for my body.
- Does it stain? I have never had an issue with clothing or sheets staining. I would allow a few minutes after gently rubbing it in before you test it out.
- How much do I use? Enough to cover the skin thoroughly. To get really specific, I use one pump per arm and midsection. two pumps per leg. It smells and feel SO good after a hot shower.
- Where does it go? Everywhere! Depending on your level of sensitivity, these oils are also safe for you face. I would lower the peppermint concentration to 3-5 drops so it does not burn close to your eyes. For extra sensitive skin (like mine), eliminate the coconut oil for the face.
- I have oily skin/acne already. Does this make it worse? No way! The effects of naturals oils go against what our initial impression may be. Grapeseed oil and peppermint in particular contribute to regulating oil production in the skin. Read more here! Grapeseed oil is jam packed with antioxidants that prevent the pores from clogging. The anti-inflammatory properties of cedarwood also help in this department. If you are unsure, test a small area for a few weeks and see how it works for you!
- Other essential oils great for skin… geranium, frankincense, carrot seed, myrrh, neroli, and patchouli. Check them out!
I’d love to hear your feedback!